I’m a wee bit excited about today’s interview because I have foodie sensation and popular health coach Madeleine Shaw sharing some of her advice on getting the glow. And you’ll soon discover why. You may have come across the glowing Madeleine Shaw on Instagram. Her account radiates her passion for holistic wellness, movement and delicious food. In fact, I recently had the opportunity to sample some of her recipes on her UK book tour at the Bristol supper club in Harvey Nichols. I went along with one of my besties, Mini, who also happens to be a fellow healthy foodie. I shared a short review and pictures on the My•Goodness•Me Facebook page (which you can find here) but this is the gist of it: DELICIOUS!
I’ve been following Madeleine’s blog for years now so it was great to finally have the opportunity to chat with her (for what was probably more than my fair share of her time!) about her book, her health journey and the growing wellness industry. She was so lovely and very down to earth. I should also mention here that she really does have 'the glow', which couldn’t be a better testimony to her work. Her approach is very balanced and just as down to earth as she is so I had to get her on the blog to share some of her wellness wisdom with your guys so here you have it!
1. What inspired your interest and curiosity in holistic health, and how did that bring you to starting your blog and coaching business?
I used to have terrible IBS I went to see every doctor and tried everything but it wasn’t until I cleared up my diet that it really changed. I began working in a cafe in Sydney cooking and loved creating new dishes with healthy ingredients, I knew there I wanted to work in the healthy industry.
2. In a nutshell, what’s your wellness philosophy?
Eat Foods you can grow, hunt or gather, get back to basics!
3. What are your daily non-negotiables for health and happiness?
Eat well, stress less, move daily and smile big!
4. Aside from food, are there any wellness tools or self-care practices you use on a regular basis?
Belly breathing and yoga!
5. In your book, Get The Glow, you also talk about mind-set shifts and self-love. Why is it so important that healthy choices come from a place of self-love?
It’s the missing piece. You can eat all the fish in the world but if you don’t love your body and yourself you won't be happy, it so so important.
6. The food in your book is absolutely delicious and dishes like Raw Cherry and Chocolate Fudge might sound decadent to someone that associates health and diets with deprivation. How did putting delicious food at the centre of your food philosophy impact your health?
It changed everything from my mood to skin to energy, everything got better!
7. What is the most common stumbling block for people that follow your Get The Glow programme and how can they overcome it?
“I don’t have enough time” Yes you do! It takes less time to grill some fish and whip up a salad as it does to order a pizza. Its just we get stuck in habits. It’s all about getting in the kitchen and giving some recipes a go.
8. What three practical tips would you give to people looking to get the glow that they can implement today?
- Quit white refined sugar
- Up your protein for breakfast (eggs, nuts and seeds on porridge)
- Spend more time doing the things you love
9. What’s your favourite health nerd topic and why?
Digestion! Its just so amazing and something I have personally struggled with.
10. Healthy eating is having a moment and there seems to be healthy food bloggers galore. What do you think has helped you to stand out in the wellness industry?
My personal journey, the fact that I cook with meat and fish and my can do attitude.
11. What’s on the horizon for your blog and business?
I am developing an online program called alpha babes that brings together exercise, nutrition and mindfulness. It’s going to be epic and I can’t wait to share I with you!
12. Favourite word/quote/affirmation:
There is only one you!
Madeleine is a qualified nutritional health coach, a creative chef, wellness blogger, presenter and trained yoga instructor. She is committed to helping her clients enliven the hottest, healthiest, happiest versions of themselves. Madeleine has just released her first book, Get the Glow, which includes the 6 week programme that she has used with celebrity clients such as Millie Mackintosh and Caggie Dunlop.
Where to find her:
Get the Glow is one of the best health recipe books on the market in my opinion so I'd really encourage you to grab a copy. As well as 100 delicious recipes, you also discover her 6-week 'Get the Glow' programme and lots of other advice on Madeleine's own experiences making changes that stick from.
What do you guys think? Share your insights and thoughts in the comments.
P.S. I'm a long-time fan of Madeleine's raw brownie recipe so be sure to whip that guy up as soon as you get your hands on her book.